Oil-Free Arugula Pesto (Vegan)
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, to taste
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small food processor and process until everything is broken down. I prefer my pesto to have a bit of a chunky texture, but you can use a blender if you would like a smoother result.
- Once the pesto is smooth enough, taste it and adjust any seasonings as needed. When you use fresh ingredients, the taste will always vary by batch, so I usually end up adding an extra splash of lemon juice or an extra pinch of salt to make it taste "just right." Also, I think it should be noted that I love a spicy punch of garlic, so 3 cloves is usually perfect for me, but if you're not the biggest garlic fan, you might only want to start with 1 or 2 cloves and add more to taste. The nice thing about making a blended sauce like this one is you can always taste as you go and adjust as needed.
- Because these ingredients are all fresh, I'd recommend keeping this sauce stored in an airtight container in the fridge for no longer than a week for best flavor.