Carrot Spice Kombucha Recipe
- 5 carrots, tops removed
- ¼ cup filtered water, or more
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 whole star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice
- 5½ to 6 cups finished kombucha, depending on the yield of your carrots and how much water you add when pureeing
- Purée carrots in a food processor with ¼ cup of filtered water. Let it run until the carrots form a paste. It should be barely pourable when fully pureed. Add up to another ¼ cup of filtered water if needed.
- Place the puree and all spices into a ½ gallon container. If you like fizzy kombucha, make it a sealing container (see above and be EXTREMELY careful). Add finished kombucha, filling your container to the bottom of the neck, if it’s a long-neck bottle, or leaving a minimum of 3 inches of headspace if it’s not.
- Close/seal container and leave at room temperature for 3 days or until carbonated.* Move to the fridge for an additional 4 to 7 days, then open carefully, and pour through a fine mesh strainer before enjoying.
- *You’ll know it’s carbonated when the sides of your plastic bottle are rigid. Although I will admit to bottling in glass, without precise sugar measurements, it has the potential to be very dangerous, so be aware of the explosion risk, bottle in glass at your own risk and move it to the fridge as soon as it’s carbonated.